Monday, November 17, 2008

Simplicitous Behavior


On Saturday, as I made my list for the day, I made a deal with myself in the spirit of simplifying life and helping the ecology and my own pocket book - I would neither drive my car nor spend any money the whole day (except for buying the contact lens solution, of which I had completely run out).

I had a lot of chores to do, so how hard could it be? Lots of laundry, cleaning, the lawn, bathrooms… return some videos, pick up contact solution, drop some dry cleaning.

As I rode around on my bike with my dry cleaning and shoulder bag, I realized there were really just two kinds of bike riders out and about: decked out exercisers on $1,000 street bikes, dressed in sleek bicyclist outfits with biking shoes and biking gloves; and kids playing on their bikes in their neighborhood. I saw 50-60 of the former; and 3 of the latter. What I saw absolutely none of, other than myself, were people on their bikes as a means of getting somewhere. (On a disturbing side-note: the bike-a-sizers all wear those tight biker shorts and shirts no matter what shape they are in. This is primarily the generation that once said, "hey man - let it all hang out”. Now they really are! You have to be Lance Armstrong to look good in those things. But hey, be proud – your’e on a bike!! Pedal harder!)

When I got done with the errands, I wasn’t done riding my bike. I wanted to ride more! So I rode to the gym – where I lifted weights, but didn’t bother with the cardio because I figured I was already getting it. Then I meandered my way home and did some sightseeing.

After finishing up the laundry and cleaning one bathroom, I saw there was only about a half hour of light left, so I decided to ride again! I got about a half mile down the road and figured I was going to lose the daylight, but hey?! Who cares? As the sun slipped over the horizon I braked to a stop – and hey! I was right in front of a pub!! Heck – I done good. Time for a beer.

I was half way through the beer when I realized I had just spent $3 for a beer!! I hadn’t touched the lawn, and the house was only half cleaned. Crap! I had NOT done so good after all. So did I finish up and get home to the chores? Well – no. Reality? I had the weekend to myself. So…. I had another beer.

Then I rode home in the dark - and I couldn't help thinking it was just dark enough that it would be the perfect time for me to have been wearing some cool, skin-tight biking attire!

1 comment:

Lena said...

if there was a like button on this blog i would like this post haha ~ just come to boulder where everyone rides bikes :)