Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Sir Ringo and Synergy

As my sister recently reminded me on her blog, Sir Paul is looking desperate. If you read the Vanity Fair interview on the bubble gum Beatle, (which I took in at an orthodontist appointment for one of my kids) you also know he is a sad old guy. It was one of the most depressing articles I've ever read. Which is why I'm planning to peak in my eighties.

While still in their thirties though, all four Beatles put out one decent album right after they broke up - even Ringo. Well, it depends on how you define "decent". But they must have had synergistic residue stuck to their Nauru jackets. Ten years after the break up you could look back and see how four guys had hit the heady peaks of musical synergy when they were together - and steadily fell after that. And, in my personal opinion, none fell harder than Paul. (Sorry Sir Paul.) At least Ringo seems today like he's still having fun. I think Ringo is on the "peak-in-your-eighties" plan, too.

After "Band on the Run", I never cared much for any of Paul's stuff. John and George kept my interest over the years. But let's face it - Beatles stuff is great; and holds up!

My kids re-discovered this with the "Across the Universe" soundtrack. At first I was all excited. But now these new versions are irritating the hell out of me almost as much as Peter Frampton and the Bee Gee's did with their Sgt. Peppers movie.

So what's the point? Great songs hold up - and none more so than those penned by Paul and John. Except maybe Irving Berlin. And Beethoven.

Oh, never mind.

No comments: